Monday, December 9, 2013

Thanksgiving and Halloween...why not!

I almost skipped posting anything about Thanksgiving and Halloween with it being Christmas season and all. But I really do want to keep up with posting memories, and since I find myself dozing off every single time I pick up my journal, I figured a little break from editing photos and some screen time with my blog would do some good. Just a little recap: Halloween is not exactly my favorite holiday, but having kids has made it something I look forward to. And who knows...maybe someday I will be cool enough to actually dress up. I am the lamest Halloween momma ever. I even ate 90% of my boys' candy, no joke. Jay redeemed the holiday by bringing home pumpkins to carve with the boys. He is definitely the fun parent these days. Will had sooo much fun carving his first pumpkin ( he has sooo much fun doing anything with his daddy). Dallas did not want any thing to do with that slimy thing. I even threw a piece of candy inside of it to try and convince him the "guts" weren't all that bad, but he didn't have it. He did love trick-or-treating. He about robbed our entire neighborhood of every sucker he could get his hands on. That boy is a sucker for suckers.

Thanksgiving rocked as usual. We ran the Turkey Trot. I only did the 2 mile and got my best time ever (ok in comparison to the one other time I actually ran that dang race) It is really a funny thing. I have been involved in dancing, tumbling, volleyball, elite fitness classes, and any other physical training imaginable (plyometrics?...bring it!) And I have never been intimidated by any of it. Pre-children I could just live, eat, breath, drink working out, but for some reason, running has always intimidated the crap out of me. I am the crazy wife who tries to convince her husband all day long that marathons are not even good for you. ( you do NOT want to get me on my marathon tangent) Nowadays I just suck at just about any physical activity imaginable, and so that makes running just THAT much more intimidating. But I did it...two miles (and seriously, these days 2 miles is a big deal for this out-of-shape momma) And hey! My time was half decent. And I even enjoyed it. Slightly. Baby steps right? I guess I am inspired to get out of my physical comfort zone more often.

Back to Thanksgiving...it was good. Jay's siblings came down and it was just so good spending time with them. Have I ever mentioned I married my hubs for his family? And I think that is what I have been most thankful for this holiday season.... family. We have a small, modest home close to both of our parents. At times I curse it. Maybe more than I care to admit. Because ya know, a laundry room would be nice to have! And Christmas Eve isn't always an easy thing to share. And sometimes I feel a twinge of failure that I never really moved on from my hometown. (that was sort of a big dream of mine) But I realize the blessing of having such supportive parents and in-laws is so completely priceless. (and I am so dang lucky that both of our families are just awesome ones to live close to) It has been a challenge balancing it all, but it has been an incredible gift to our children to have such great influences so prominent in their lives. To be constantly surrounded by relationships that are eternal keeps us grounded. My kids constantly get to experience the best of both of these worlds that Jay and I grew up in. And I feel I have an army of sweet angels supporting me in this difficult journey of motherhood. It is all so very humbling.

As I have reflected on this past year I have felt enormous amounts of gratitude for blessings not deserved. It's been a hard year for me, and I have been a hard-head in return. That's not me. But I can't sit here and pretend that there haven't been times I have slowly felt my heart turn to ice because of difficulties faced. But I do occasionally count my blessings, and when I do I can't help but feel my Savior's love for me because I have been given so so much. And my kids are alive. And I have a great man who loves me. I'm just pretty darn lucky.

7 comments:

  1. Beautifully said sis. I sure love you and you are doing a great job! I keep thinking about the cub scout motto " Do You Best" That's all you do.... And I know you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely know what you mean. We've had a tough year, with moving, not being able to find a job, it makes me kind of a grump. But I've been working really hard to count my blessings. Sometimes its best when i get out and around people and helping people. its hard, but its the best when you realize how lucky you really are. It's hard, we all struggle, but just know that I think you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your pictures. You are an awesome mama! It's a hard role, but the blessings are so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you had some good holidays!! the pics are priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post, and your boys are adorable as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know that I tagged you as a sunshine blogger too!

    ReplyDelete